World 8 Year Old Boy Shoots Grandma in The Head After Playing GTA

L

LequteMan

sheriff.jpg

Police are treating the death of Marie Smothers as homicide after an eight-year old boy shot the 87-year-old with her own gun in a mobile home park near Slaughter, Los Angeles.

She was shot from behind while watching television last Thursday and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Authorities identified the woman as the boy's "caregiver," without stating whether she is a relative. But CNN affiliate WBRZreported that the woman was the boy's grandmother.

A statement issued by the East Feliciana Parish Sheriff's Office said the kid and the woman had a normal, loving relationship.

Although the boy told the police the shooting was unintentional and that he was playing around with her gun, the police had reason to disagree.

"Although a motive for the shooting is unknown at this time, investigators have learned that the juvenile suspect was playing a video game on the Play Station III "Grand Theft Auto IV", a realistic game that has been associated with encouraging violence and awards points to players for killing people, just minutes before the homicide occurred," the statement read.

Results of an autopsy have not yet been released.

The child will not be charged and has been released to his parents. His name will also not be released.

Louisiana Law prohibits the prosecution of children aged ten years and under. It reads: "Those who have not reached the age of 10 years are exempt from criminal responsibility. However, nothing in this article shall affect the jurisdiction of juvenile courts as established by the constitution and statutes of this state."

The investigation continues.

I am a fan of the Grand Theft Auto Game, and I am already looking forward to playing GTA V. I don't know but, why blame a game for the boy's actions? I mean, I've got younger siblings who play with me and I don't expect them to shoot me anytime soon.

You're old enough.
Your younger ones don't happen to have access to a gun, do they?

Back