Tennis: Nadal now number two

C

Chris Maduewesi

By virtue of his back to back wins in the ATP Masters,Rafael Nadal has overtaken Andy Murray as the world number two tennis player.
Nadal on Sunday followed up his Montreal win with another triumph at the Cincinnati Open,defeating John Isner to win the title.
Novak Djokovic is still the top ranked player,but the biggest drop in the rankings is that of former world number one,Roger Federer who is now ranked seventh.
It is the lowest ranking in 11 years for Federer,who is the leading all time Grand Slam winner with 17.
The rankings will now see Nadal emerge as one of the two top seeds in the Men’s draw for the US Open,commencing next week.
“First of all, I won a very important tournament, a Masters 1000,” Nadal said after beating Isner on Sunday.
“I was playing for a lot of points this week and I’m in a good position.”
In the Women’s rankings,the top three remained unchanged,with Serena Williams,Viktoria Azarenka and Maria Sharapova occupying the top three positions respectively.
Former world number one Caroline Wozniacki moved up two places,and is now ranked eight in the world.

Continue reading...

Back