Politics 6 South-West Politicians That May Replace President Buhari In 2019

P

PressRoom

The Northern Youth Leaders’ Forum (NYLF) has recently shortlisted some politicians ahead of 2019 presidential elections. The group also vowed that it will never allow Nigeria's next president to be a man from the southern part of the country. How this will be play out is dependent on time, and schemes before the election year. But in all these, some politicians in South-West also may also replace President Buhari in 2019. They include:

upload_2017-6-20_14-31-37.png

Governor Fayose of Ekiti State

1. Ayo Fayose – One of Nigeria's most controversial governors, Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti state may one day become the nation's president, if his recent statement holds water. A staunch critic of APC, and President Buhari-led administration, Fayose has recently said he will snatch power from the 74-year old leader, saying he has what it takes to wrestle power from President Muhammadu Buhari.

“I have penchant for taking powers; that one in Buhari’s hand, I will take it. I’m going straight to that villa. I’m the next president,”

“I want to be the next president of Nigeria. My own won’t be this change that has brought nothing, we are going to represent the people well and tell them the truth.”Published June 16, 2017

“Just because Ayo Fayose has won a second term to become governor of Ekiti, some people also think they can come back now, but I want to tell them that it is not possible,” Fayose had said.

Before Fayose's recent statement, he had made several claims that he will soon lead Nigeria. Perhaps in 2019.

2. Bola Tinubu - Tinubu is one politician whose position in the South-West geo-political zone might eventually determine which party the region will support in 2019, considering his political sagacity and large followership, not minding what adversaries are saying. Most of the governors in the South-West believe Tinubu is their future and their rallying point. This is amidst speculations that his influence in the Presidency, the National Assembly and other strategic places is waning. He may also be a candidate in 2019 presidential race.

3. Yemi Osinbajo: Oluyemi Osinbajo, the current Nigeria's Vice President is one candidate that may fielded from the South-west for 2019 presidential race. A professor of law, Osinbajo fills in admirable capacity for President Buhari – who is on medical vacation in Britain for an undisclosed ailment. While his principal, President Buhari, is away, Osinbajo lauched the economic recovery plan, visited the oil-rich Niger-delta and facilitated discussions with top region leaders. He recently assented the 2017 budget into law. Though Osinbajo has undivided loyalty for Buhari – 'who takes him as his son', but there are schemes already that he may be fielded in as next presidential candidate.

4. Bisi Akande: A former governor of Osun state, Akande is one of the foremost, founding members of the ruling All Progressives Congress may also be considered as one of the top shots for the president in 2019.

5. Babatunde Fashola – It won't be surprising to see the current Minister of Power, Works, Housing among those fielded for Presidential race from South-West in 2019. Fashola, a former governor of Lagos state was tipped to be President Muhammadu Buhari's running mate before 2015 elections, but was not considered because of 'muslim-muslim' ticket.

6. Tunde Bakare: Bakare, a founder and General Overseer of the Latter Rain Assembly is a known and active figure in Nigerian politics. He was General Muhammadu Buhari's presidential running mate in 2011 under the platform of the Congress For Progressive Change. Recently on President Buhari's health, Bakare said the next in line to the throne does not become king in all cases. He mentioned that those attempting to overthrow President Muhammadu Buhari are doing all they could to outperform him – such people, according to Bakare, “are full of show-offs in their bid to register star performances and outdo their benefactors”. Though his loyalty in Buhari is undivided, he may be tipped for 2019 race.

Back