Metro 8 Regain Freedom from Prison in Nasarawa

Sandra Chiefe

Justice Suleiman Umaro Diko, a Nasarawa State Chief Judge during his quarterly visit to all prison formations across the state and freed eight inmates last week.

Some of the inmates, such as David Samuel and Sunday Kodan, were freed from the Wamba prison due to health reasons. The exercise is part of the state’s effort to decongest the prisons in the state.

The judge also assured the inmates awaiting trial of his commitment in ensuring the speedy expedition of cases. He also warmed those who have just regained their freedom to desist from committing further crimes against the state.

The motive for freeing the prisoners is absolutely - totally, irrevocably - wrong. I don't believe there is a clause in the law that says prisoners should be released, nor am I sure I will find a place in the constitution that says some prisoners can be freed when the prison is too full to accept any more.

Call me an unfeeling bastard, but this is the most ridiculous reason for freeing prisoners. A better reason would have been that the eight prisoners are/were the most remorseful, of best behavior, or less likely to relapse to their old crimes.

Back