Politics Adesina's Appointment in AfDB, Indicates I Belong To Everybody – Buhari

P

ProfRem

President Muhammadu Buhari says his decision to back Akinwunmi Adesina to emerge president of the African Development Bank (AfDB) is an indication that he belongs to everybody.

During his inauguration on May 29, 2015, Buhari had said “I belong to everybody and nobody” but his critics have said his appointments do not reflect the statement.

According to Buhari, he did not consider Adesina’s ties to the former ruling party when he recommended him for the AfDB job.

adesina and B.JPG

While interacting with the Nigerian community in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire on Tuesday, he said: “The President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), who forgot to mention that he was serving in the PDP government as minister but all the same I picked him and recommended him for AfDB.

“I think it emphasised what I said during my swearing in that I’m for everybody, I’m for nobody. As long as you are a Nigerian be prepared to be on the receiving end from me.”

Adesina had earlier expressed gratitude to Buhari for backing him to get the position. He said Nigeria’s economy gained momentum after the president’s health improved.

Adesina, who is the first Nigerian to head the continental bank, served as a minister in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)-led government.

Back