Politics Anambra Governorship Elections: APGA's Obidigbo Insists on Mandate

• Thread starter Thread starter abujagirl
  • Start date Start date
A

abujagirl

images

Dr Chike Obidigbo, gubernatorial candidate of All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA under the faction led by Chief Maxi Okwu, has vowed to run for the Nov. 16 election in Anambra State in spite of not being listed by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

Addressing newsmen on Sunday, Obidigbo said, INEC showed partiality by listing Chief Willie Obiano who belonged to the faction led by Chief Victor Umeh as its recongised candidate for the election.

Obidigbo said that Obiano's listing by INEC was not in conformity with the order of the Federal High Court Awka which had asked that the two contending parties be given equal opportunities until the matter before the court was resolved.

He said that since the decision of INEC to distance him from his mandate,"my teeming supporters and patriotic citizens of Anambra have been inundating me with calls and inquiries about the way forward".

"I wish to restate that my choice of APGA platform for political expression and contest of the Anambra governorship seat is irrevocable.

"I wish also to state unequivocally that our case in the court is still on course. We shall not because some individuals decided to use the APGA ticket as their Automatic Teller Machine, leave the party".

"It is because we insist on the survival and success of APGA that we are in court to seek redress. We believe that unless the rule of law operates in every political transaction, Nigeria’s democracy would end in chaos".

"We shall no longer leave the political space to mercantile opportunists and nitwits. I call on Anambra citizens not to despair and urge my supporters to keep hope alive.

"Since the general consensus of opinion of civilized citizens is that the judiciary remains the hope of the common man, we shall insist on obtaining justice from the court. Our legal matters must be pursued diligently to logical conclusion.

"We shall not run away, we shall not hide or shy away from this patriotic responsibility. Anambra must be freed from the narrow-minded leadership that has held it hostage in recent times.

"The people’s right to elect their representatives should not be abridged or corralled by any individual or group. We are all free citizens of one geographical entity called Anambra,’’ he added.(NAN)

Back