Politics As the SGF, I'm Embarrassed Chasing Money Around Ministries – Babachir Lawal

P

ProfRem

Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal has lamented how demeaning is it for him to be chasing money at Ministries.

Mr. Lawal, said this on Thursday while playing host to the members of the Senate Committee of Federal Character and Intergovernmental Affairs, led by Senator Tijjani Kaura in his office.

“We will lean harder on the finance ministry to see that the situation is turned around. As the SGF, I’m getting embarrassed and demeaned by chasing money coming from demands. All the MDAs come to me for things to be done and it is not quite easy, but we will try our best.

“Last year, these political appointees had nothing. As for assistance, we really need assistance, if not but to retain all what we have budgeted for.”

babachir.JPG

He said: “It is painful to me because, as a person, that former Presidents and ex-Heads of State including Goodluck Jonathan, Olusegun Obasanjo and Shehu Shagari allowances since January this year have not been paid. I know all of them (ex-presidents) personally. Now, why have we not been able to get the money? We requested a budget of N700m but the President has his way of doing things.

“Look around, you’ll see government vehicles breaking down every now and then. Really, I know the challenges the budget office is facing but the truth is that the funds are not just there. In any government, there are certain agencies that must be served first before others. So, we have agreed on that.”

Back