Politics Atiku's Wife Defrauded of N1bn by Ex Akwa Ibom Gov Aspirant

L

LequteMan

Aminat Titi Abubakar, the wife of Nigeria's former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, on Friday testified how she was defrauded of N918 million by a former former governorship aspirant in Akwa Ibom State Nsikakabasi Akpan.

“I have never been inside a court before. Not even a police station in all my life," she said while giving evidence before Justice Oluwatoyin Ipaye on Friday. "I am here because I want Justice. I want this to serve as a deterrence to other fraudsters that they can’t defraud people and not face Justice.”

Mrs Abubakar told the court that Akpan Jacobs , a pastor used the money to contest for governorship in Akwa Ibom State.

Akpan Jacobs and Abdulmalik Ibrahim are facing a 15 count charge of fraud and stealing N918 million being proceeds of sale of a property situate at Plot C63A , Amuwo Odofin Commercial Layout along Oshodi Apapa Expressway , belonging to Tha Maritime Services Limited.

The company allegedly belonged to Mrs Abubakar, Dan and Fred Holmes both working for Julius Berger at the time.

The company was formed in 2000 with 49 per cent shares to Mrs Abubakar, 25 per cent to
Holmes and 25 per cent to Akpan Jacobs.

Akpan Jacobs who doubled as the company’s managing director and secretary was however alleged to gone to the Corporate Affairs Commission where he altered the share arrangement in his favour.

He was alleged to have forged a company board resolution re distributing the shares ownership giving himself 70 per cent , 15 per cent to Mrs Abubakar, and 15 per cent to Holmes.

With the shares re-distribution, Akpan Jacobs was alleged to have fraudulently assumed full ownership of THAShipping and subsequently sold a property worth N918m belonging to the company to Dana Motor Nigeria Ltd.

Both men pleaded not guilty to the charges, which was brought against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Mrs Abubakar is expected to continue her evidence on December 14, 2016 when the continues with the trial

Attachments

• titi abubakar2.png
    titi abubakar2.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 18
Back