Politics Boko Haram: Shekau is a Symbol of Insurgency, He May Not be Real - Lai Mohammed

L

LequteMan

Nigeria's Information Minister, Lai Mohammed, in an interview with the Nation, said Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau might be a fictitious character.

When quizzed about the militant leader, he said: “you know my understanding of Shekau? Shekau may not be a real name. If you kill one Shekau today, there are hundreds that come to that place.

“For me, Shekau as a person is a symbol of insurgency. Now, whether he is dead or not, I think it is a mute point. What is important, are we wining insurgency or not? The answer is yes.”

He also spoke about why the Chibok Girls, kidnapped by Boko Haram for over 3 years, have not been rescued.

“I think it is quite unfortunate that when people talk about the Boko Haram insurgency, the focus is always on the missing Chibok girls, and every effort of government in combatting this deadly insurgency is often measured against the return or otherwise of the Chibok girls,” he said.

“The Boko Haram insurgency, unfortunately, is not just about the missing Chibok girls alone. Every day, our gallant soldiers risk their lives to ensure that a final closure is put on the Boko Haram insurgency. There is no doubt that the missing Chibok girls have captured the attention of the entire world, and we make no attempt to belittle or treat the issue of the missing girls with any disrespect or that it is only a small part of the big picture.

Attachments

• Lai-Mohammed.jpg
    Lai-Mohammed.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 27
Back