Metro Cardinal Denounces Same Sex Practices

Sandra Chiefe

Cardinal-John.jpg

The Catholic Archbishop of Abuja Diocese His Eminence John Cardinal Onaiyekan has spoke against the practice of same-same sex marriage, stating that the practice and involvement is morally and religiously unacceptable.

Describing the practice as criminal and against nature in his keynote address at a one-day seminar organized by the Pontifical Council for the Family on family rights in Nigeria, Cardinal Onaiyekan, reaffirmed the church’s stand on the practice, saying it was against the teachings of the church.

The cardinal noted that if the trend is not checked, it can save or lead to the destruction of humanity.

The Cardinal warns also, that the arsenals of nuclear weapons by various nations of the world as the greatest terrorists in the world and capable of destroying a whole country in one day.

Earlier, chairman of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria (CBCN), Most Rev. Dr. James Naanman Daaman, said the role of family in the society was very vital in the development of a good society and urged parents and guardians to always inculcate moral values to their wards.

Also speaking, a member of the Pontifical Council for the Family of the church, Sir David E. Osunde, said the seminar was aimed at reinforcing awareness of the irreplaceable role and position of the family among family members and also to encourage families to fulfil their duties in such a way that the role of the family will become more clearly appreciated and recognized in today’s world.

^^The Catholic church should choose and stick to one option. Gay or no gay. simple

At this point its obvious that its a cultural thing. And also one faction is going for the popular opinion because they need more congregation, the other couldn't care less because they probably have too much!

Contradiction. The Catholic Priests in New York are blessing gay unions. o_O
The Catholic church in New York is under more pressure than any Nigerian church. Gay right laws have been passed in New York and as such becomes an offence to publicly criticize gays - for his safety and that of his church members.

...and I also agree with @Sandra Chiefe that congregation is also another factor to consider. With the growing number of gays in the US, having them flock into one's church and be comfortable, means increased cheddah oo

There is an episode of South Park I watched where their teacher said, "Drugs are bad, so don't do drugs, because they make you a bad person, which is bad, which makes taking drugs bad. Because drugs are bad. So don't do drugs..."

I laughed until I pissed my pants when I watched that episode, and I am going to explain why here.

Like the funny south park teacher above who couldn't explain why drugs are actually bad to the bewildered students, this Cardinal says, "being gay is morally and religiously wrong." So I mentally ask myself, "why?" and I read on (and I quote the news article: "The cardinal noted that if the trend is not checked, it can save or lead to the destruction of humanity."

So I ask again. HOW? In a world currently plagued with overpopulation, how exactly does gay marriage (or same sex practices, if you will) condemn humanity to destruction? Or perhaps he is speaking Biblically, that the wrath of God will be summoned from heaven and smite all of us? But then again - gay practices didn't begin with our generation. It is neither on the increase nor is it reducing - as far as statistics suggest - it is just the way it has always been since Bible times.

God has not smitten the whole world for it since then, and I am inclined to believe he will not begin smiting it now.

Most of what irks us about gay practices is just our squeamishness and revulsion at something the mind cannot grasp - why will another man want to be with another man? It is a phobia - which means irrational fear - because it is illogical and pointless. We should learn to live with gay people and love them for who they are, rather than openly condemning them all the time. It is more effective, and it probably pleases God better than self-righteous, smirking, religious people coming out and saying "Away with the homosexuals!"

In life a
The Catholic church in New York is under more pressure than any Nigerian church. Gay right laws have been passed in New York and as such becomes an offence to publicly criticize gays - for his safety and that of his church members.

...and I also agree with @Sandra Chiefe that congregation is also another factor to consider. With the growing number of gays in the US, having them flock into one's church and be comfortable, means increased cheddah oo

In life as in law, public opinion matters.

Back