Metro Carpenter Bags 12 Months in Prison for Fighting over Girlfriend

Vunderkind

Social Member
An Upper Area Court in Kuje, FCT, on Tuesday sentenced one Igbayuna Ikyernum, 23, to 12 months imprisonment for beating and causing grievous hurt to one Mr Iorkyana Fidelis.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the accused, a carpenter, committed the offences while fighting over a girl friend.

The presiding judge, Mr Adamu Wakili, convicted Ikyernum with an option to pay N10,000 fine, after he pleaded guilty to the offences.

``For committing such offences, you are hereby convicted and sentenced to pay a fine of N10, 000 or to remain in Kuje prison for 12 months.

``Anyone who is not satisfied with the decision of the court has the right of appeal to the FCT High Court in Abuja, within 30 days,” Wakili said.

The prosecutor, Cpl. Samuel Ocheche, had earlier told the court that the complainant, Mr Iorkyana Fidelis of the same address with the convict, lodged the report at the Kuje Police Station on March 23.

``On March 21, you Igbayuna Ikyernum of Guda-aba village Kuje, entered the complainants’ room with an iron rod and hit him on the head, and as a result he sustained serious injury.

``After recovering from the injury, on March 23, Ikyernum came back with hammer and a broken bottle, stabbed and broke Fidelis head and also threatened to kill him.

"When Ikyernum was done, he disappeared and was arrested on March 24 at Kuje Forest Area by the police,” he said.

The prosecutor said that during police investigation, it was discovered that the complainant had ``snatched the convicts’ girl friend’’.

Ocheche said the offence contravened the provisions of Sections 241 and 396 of the Penal Code.

The convict had pleaded for leniency and apologised to the court and the complainant for his action and promised not to repeat such acts again.

``I warned him to leave my girl friend alone but he refused to listen to my advice,” he said.

Back