Charles Taylor Scared of UK Prison

A

abujagirl

upload_2013-10-14_20-43-10.png

Former Liberian President, Charles Taylor has asked to serve his 50-year prison sentence for war crimes in Rwanda, rather than the UK.

According to BBC, a letter sent to the court that convicted him, he says it would be easier and less expensive for his family to visit him in Africa.

He also said he feared being attacked in a British prison.

Part of the letter read, "My position is that serving my sentence in Rwanda, in my home continent of Africa, would be substantially more humane not only on my own account, but also on account of the impact on my family".

"My name is now associated with horrendous atrocities. Prison inmates, whether from the region or not, are likely to be inclined to inflict their own brand of justice by attacking me".

"In short, incarceration in the United Kingdom will likely and very soon lead to me being seriously injured or killed".

The ICC statutes said access for prisoners' relatives should be taken into account when deciding where they should serve their sentence.

Taylor, 65, was convicted on 11 crimes including terrorism, rape, murder and the use of child soldiers by rebel groups in neighboring Sierra Leone during the 1991-2002 conflict, in which some 50,000 people died.He is the first former head of state convicted by an international war crimes court since World War II.

Taylor is currently in Hague awaiting transfer.

Back