Combination of Western and Herbal Medicines Can Lead to Sudden Death- Medical Dr. Warns

L

LequteMan

Nigeria- Indiscriminate combination of orthodox and herbal medicines could lead to sudden death, Prof. Martins Emeje, a Pharmacist with the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) on Monday cautioned Nigerians.

According to him, combination of orthodox medicine also known as western medicine with herbal drugs could have the same chemical content which could result to over dose. Overdose, he said, could destroy vital organs in the body.

``If one is taking orthodox medicine at the same time with herbal medicine, there is a tendency that both medicines could fight the potency of the other.

``Using orthodox medicine at the same time with herbal medicine can exaggerate the effect of the other,’’ Emeje warned.

He advised Nigerians to seek medical advice before taking herbal or non herbal medicines as both drugs have their side effects.

`` When one does not have the appropriate information on a drug, it is deadly or suicidal to consume it.

The professor advised overweight women who wish to reduce their weight to be cautious while consuming herbal medicines

#Nigeria

western vs herbal.gif

What do you make of this @Matino
I strongly agree with him. The truth is that many herbal concoctions that Nigerians take are not even safe for consumption because they do more harm than good. I have seen cases of renal failure due to the consumption of herbal concoctions - it could be that bad.
There are safe herbal medicines and these are the ones that have been confirmed through research to be safe for consumption and have been validated by NAFDAC.
The truth nevertheless is that it is best to always consult a doctor when you have any complaint, so whatever condition it may be can be accurately diagnosed.
I wrote an article on my blog about the safety of herbal concoctions and you can check it out to learn more.

Back