Metro Court Orders Police I-G to pay N5m Damages to Abuja Cell-phone Repairer

L

LequteMan

An Abuja Federal High Court, on Thursday ordered the Inspector-General of Police to pay N5 million as damages to cell-phone repairer, Simon Eke, for unlawful arrest and detention without trial.

Eke was arrested and detained in Oct. 2013 at Wuse, Abuja.

Delivering judgment, Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Ibrahim Auta, described the action of the police as `barbaric.’

``I have taken a critical look into the proceedings in this case and discovered that this matter came up for hearing up to nine times and the police were served with processes, yet no appearance was made to defend the suit.

``Rather than coming to court to defend the suit, the defendants resorted to writing the court asking for frivolous adjournments up to seven times.

``I am of the view that there must be an end to litigation, and it is on this premise that I enter judgment in favour of the plaintiff.

``The respondent is ordered to pay the sum of N5 million damages to the applicant as claimed since it has no defence to offer”, Auta ordered.

The judge also gave an order of perpetual injunction against the Inspector-General of Police, his agents or privies from further arresting or detaining the plaintiff.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the plaintiff had through his counsel, Mr Paul Ashukeka, sued the Inspector- General to enforce his fundamental rights.

Attachments

• Joseph-Mbu.jpg
    Joseph-Mbu.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 16
Back