Dino Melaye Recall: a Triumph of Mediocrity Over Meritocracy - Babaeko

P

ProfRem

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act” - George Orwell.

Having taken a detailed insight into the recall exercise against Senator Dino Melaye, representing Kogi West Senatorial District where I hail from and the fact of me being a bonafide Kabba son with a sympathetic consideration of the plight of the common man and the downtrodden, I particularly find it very important for me to set the record straight not only for our generation but the generations yet unborn.

Although I am not a fan of Dino Melaye's ignominious, oppressive and garrulous lifestyle, he earns my due respect for the fact that he has been elected to represent the good people of my constituency having won the popular mandate. I therefore give my maximum respect to the people's choice who was voted by the masses to represent the Kogi West Senatorial District.

The leaked video showing where the Chief of Staff to Kogi State Governor boasting that Senator Dino Melaye recall would not last in the Senate later than the 30th of June makes it apparent and easy to conclude that the voice of that Chief of Staff to the Kogi State Governor can be likened to that voice of Isaac but there is a hand of Jacob, on this agenda.

With the INEC released time table to commence the recall exercise, one can easily conclude that the conspiracy and political coup is an attempt by mediocrity to triumph over meritocracy.

It is an incontrovertible fact that most of His Excellency's appointees are sycophantic agents trying to be more catholic than the Pope; their knowledge of history and good governance is at the pedestrian, and lack the political will to drive Kogi State to the promise land because a good leader should be forgiven, tolerant and able to unite his people rather than dividing them.

The question that an average Okun person should be asking one another is that: "On what basis is the recall exercise against Dino Melaye?"

Those achievements -- the senator with the highest motion on the floor of the Senate, the Senator of the year and so on --should be put in mind. Whether these motions has affected the People of Kogi West positively is a debate for another day.

His motion has not being countered, his allegations of corruption against Smart Adeyemi and Yahaya Bello have not been countered legally or morally. Has Senator Dino Melaye's demand for the masses and the workers of Kogi been met by Yahaha Bello? I mean the 15 months unpaid salaries of workers and pensioners?

What are the states of our tertiary institutions after months of closure? When are we having the Local Government Elections?

melaye IDP.JPG

These and many more are the fundamental issues that are begging for answers. If the rumour going round in town -- from the University common rooms to the beer parlours and pepe soup joints, to the common men on the street, to political pundits and analysts -- that the suspended SGF Babachar Lawal is part of the plot to recall Dino Melaye is anything to believe, then the stakeholders must rise to save Dino Melaye using the referendum as a viable panacea to the imminent anarchy.

As for Governor Yahaya Bello, it is imperative to draw his Excellency's attention to the fact that there is a brutal danger ahead of this exercise because the question of who will replace Dino Melaye in the Senate will create more political crisis both for Bello, his retinue of Political Almajiris and unpopular mandates, as the political momentum reaches a point of crescendo.

Let the Governor be informed that beneath his happiness for the recall, there is a brutal danger and the tension that this exercise would generate and possible of taking Kogi State further from a failed state to a collapsed state.

God forbid, the most painful thing is that why both men are engaged in the battle for relevance and 2019 elections, the people they are elected to serve are suffering from underdevelopment, high level of youth unemployment and insecurity, yet they have both abandoned issues and addressing tissues; what a tragedy!

I urge INEC Chairman and IG of Police to ensure adequate security to protect lives and properties during and after the recall exercise.

May God continue to bless Kogi State and the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Sheyi Babaeko is a social commentator, Policy Analyst and Counter –Terrorist Strategist. He writes in from Leeds, U.K.

Back