Sports Euro 2016: England Fans Land In Hospital After Clashes With Russia Fans

P

PressRoom

A number of England fans were taken to hospital in France following a series of clashes between football supporters in Marseille.

Violence has broken out between England fans, rival supporters and police for the last three days in the port city.

England fans.jpg
There were also clashes in the stadium following England's 1-1 Euro 2016 draw with Russia, after Russia fans appeared to rush at England supporters.

French police said one Briton had been seriously hurt in the earlier clashes.

Witnesses said trouble began in the stadium after flares were let off by Russian fans near the end of the game. Some fans then climbed across barriers designed to keep rival fans apart.

Russia's Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said on Sunday: "We will have a fine from Uefa, so I understand. We behaved incorrectly," R-Sport news agency reported.

But he added there were "many nuances" to what happened, and Russian officials would investigate.

Ned Ozkasim told the BBC: "There was a large explosion, and after the Russian goal they started invading the area where some England fans were.

"I didn't see any retaliation from the England fans - they were just trying to get away. There were no riot police at the grounds as we expected. There were just stewards in hi-vis, and they just let it happen."

Another England fan said: "There were some Russian fans who got same flares in. They were lighting them, there was a loud bang, and then you saw the line of Russian fans... just charging across at the England fans.

"I saw a flare going into the England section or mixed the section. But all England fans just ran across, and as soon as the fans started running everyone ran."

PHOTOS of the clash below:

England fans.jpg
england fans2.jpg
england fans3.jpg

BBC

Back