Sports Gareth Southgate Confirmed as New England Manager

kemi

Social Member
Gareth Southgate has been confirmed as England's permanent manager on a four-year-deal reportedly worth up to £2m a year.

southgate 2.jpg

The former England U21s manager replaces Sam Allardyce who left his position in September following a newspaper sting.

Southgate has since overseen the national side on an interim basis, taking managerial responsbility for England's three World Cup qualifiers and international friendly against Spain.

The former Middlesbrough manager, who made 57 appearances for England, said: "I am extremely proud to be appointed England manager. However, I’m also conscious that getting the job is one thing, now I want to do the job successfully.

"I’ve thoroughly enjoyed working with the players over these past four games and I think there’s huge potential. I’m determined to give everything I have to give the country a team that they’re proud of and one that they’re going to enjoy watching play and develop. For me, the hard work starts now."

Southgate was interviewed for the position on 21 November. It's believed the FA did not reach out to any other candidates.

Back