Metro Gunmen Hijack School Bus in Nyanya

• Thread starter Thread starter abujagirl
  • Start date Start date
A

abujagirl

#DailyPost has just reported that a school bus belonging to a private school in #Nyanya, #Abuja has been reportedly hijacked by unknown gunmen this Tuesday morning.

The hijacked bus belongs to a private school, Divine Kiddies Academy was said to have dropped off students at the school before it was hijacked.

More details to follow...

breaking news.jpg

In the strictest sense of the word, 'hijack' is not the right word to use. It causes unnecessary panic when a school bus was merely stolen. The details so far only meet conditions for grand theft auto.

In the strictest sense of the word, 'hijack' is not the right word to use. It causes unnecessary panic when a school bus was merely stolen. The details so far only meet conditions for grand theft auto.
Hijack - to take by force

Like I said, in the strictest sense of the word. 'To take by force' is merely a surface definition. Several words can mean 'to take by force'. Seize, for example.

If we are to go into the nuances of things, hijack means to commandeer control of a vehicle (ship, aircraft, or in this case, bus), force it to go in another direction than it was originally intended to (like the 9/11 plane 'hijack') or to steal cargo (in this case, students, and so far there is no proof that students have actually been taken along with the bus). ..

Don't get me wrong, @Jules. I'm not saying 'hijack' is wrong. It fits, given the story, but it forces us to think of MY definition of hijack rather than of yours (a mere taking by force, like an old-school theft).

There is a heightened fright in the country, and everybody's ready to think the worst.

Back