Sports I did not leave out Obafemi Martins because he plays in the MLS - Keshi

rsz_martins.jpg
Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has denied not excluding Obafemi Martins from his team because he plays in the Major League Soccer of the United States of America.

Some people argue that Martins who plays for Seattle Sounders was not given a look-in owing to the fact that he plies his trade in the MLS.

However Keshi debunked such claims,adding that any Nigerian player that is good enough will be considered.

“I live in the United States, so I know a little bit about the league,” Keshi told MLSsoccer. “It’s a good league. I don’t think there’s any problem for a Nigerian player to play in Major League Soccer.”

Martins has had limited opportunities for Nigeria under Keshi,making appearances in some games but has failed to impress the coach.

Keshi backing up his claim that he would invite players from even the MLS revealed that Toronto FC forward Bright Dike could have made the trip to Brazil if not for a serious injury that ruled him out of the competition.

“He would have been here, yes,” Keshi said. “It’s a shame. But that’s football.”

Back