Sports I Was Quoted Out of Context About Falcons – Dalung

P

PressRoom

Nigeria's Minister of Youths and Sports, Mr. Solomon Dalung, on Friday said his statement that the Federal Government did not expect the Super Falcons to win the just-concluded CAF African Women Cup of Nations in Cameroon was taken out of context.

Dalung made this known at the Presidential Villa in Abuja yesterday when President Muhammadu Buhari received Senator Kabiru Gaya-led committee on the National Youth Open Water Swimming Competition.

Dalung.jpg

In his words, "May I conclude by trying to put into proper perspective an impression that has made national headlines to the effect that the Federal Government was not anticipating the victory of the Falcons and so could not have planned for it. This statement was attributed to myself. I want to categorically state that this is a statement taken out of context. And I cannot imagine or reconcile how," he said.

RECOMMENDED: We Never Knew Falcons Would Win, That’s Why We Don’t Have Their Allowances – FG

Dalung described the government's commitment to supporting the Falcons as overwhelming, saying "That explains why the Vice President himself had to abandon his tight schedule to visit the players in camp. That is evidence of preparations for victory."

The minister said the Federal Government was prepared because it had records of the antecedents of the performance of the players.

He said the challenge in the payment of the players' bonuses and allowances welfare was being given attention as the government was working around the clock to raise fund to address the issue of their bonuses.

Back