Politics "If we Black out Terrorism for a Period it Will go Down"- FG Reasons With Journalists

L

LequteMan

The Federal Government on Thursday reiterated its call for a media blackout on terrorist and terror attacks in furtherance of the counter-insurgency campaign against Boko Haram.

Speaking in #Abuja on Thursday, the Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku said terrorists had taken advantage of the existing free media space in the country to propagate their ideology, noting that media reports should seek to protect and unite citizens against the antics of the insurgents.

``I am not saying that you shouldn’t report when there are, say, terrorists’ attacks on innocent citizens but we must report from the point of view of arousing society to reject their message, to unite society against what they are doing.

``I am still calling on all of us to be able define the thin line that exists between the urge to report and the need to protect.

``We need to really come to a definition of what the responsibility of the media should be to organisations and persons whose major objective is to destroy society, to incite hatred among normal people.

“I have said it that if we black out terrorism for a period am sure it will go down.``

The minister said terrorism and related activities could only be tackled effectively if all segments of society particularly the media join forces against it.

#LabaranMaku #BokoHaram

download (96).jpg

Back