Metro In Bayelsa: Police Arrest Man Who Killed Baby He Had With Wife's Sister

siteadmin

Administrator
Police In Bayelsa have arrested 47 year old Moses Otimba for impregnating his wife's 19 year old sister, Joy Mathew, and killing and burying the child five days after birth.

mosses-12.jpg

Police statement:
”Mr. Moses Otimba, male, 47, impregnated one Joy Matthew, 18, a younger sister to his wife, Glory. The pregnant Joy was delivered of the baby by a traditional birth attendant at Amarata, Yenagoa on May 8, 2017. On May 13, 2017, Moses, Joy and the baby left the birth attendant and went across Swali bridge where Moses took the baby from her mother (Joy), went down the river shore, sniffed the baby to death and buried him in a shallow grave.”

Joy confessed to her mother after 3 months and the family alerted the police who took swift action to arrest Moses.

When questioned, Moses allegedly confessed to the crime:

”I killed the baby boy because I was afraid and scared. I did not really know how to face my wife and my mother-in-law that was why I killed the baby. I am really sorry. I took the baby to the bush in my community and closed his nose until he died. When I was carrying out the act, I was weeping and crying but I had no choice. When I got to the site, he was five days old then, I closed his nose and within some seconds, he stopped breathing. After that, I started regretting. The mother of the baby agreed that we should kill the baby. I told Joy that the situation was precarious for me and that I did not know how to tell my wife about the development. On that day, she was carrying the baby. She gladly gave me the baby to do whatever I wanted to do. My wife was not aware of all of this. But somehow, I did not know what happened. I learnt the baby’s mother told her mother who alerted the police and we were arrested.” he said

Back