Politics It appears Nigeria now has a president and a prime minister. Should this be a long term arrangement?

siteadmin

Administrator
Name the greatest of all inventors. Accident - Mark Twain

With all the comings and goings by Nigeria's political class to the ailing president Buhari in London, it would appear that Nigeria might have stumbled onto a workable structure for future political leadership. Yes we have been here before, but it might be just what we need again.

Truth be told, even in the latest pictures, it is obvious to anyone that the president is far from well. It is great that he still able to hold court and the recent bipartisan visit could be the guiding light to the future of governance in Nigeria.

Should we go back to having a wise old head as president, who campaigns outside any political party and a younger, dynamic party man as prime minister? The rest of the domino will fall into place.

The descriptions above does not necessary equate to the current office holders :)

What do you think?

os-cabinet.jpg

Last edited:
The same wahala will apply. The president in Nigeria cannot be totally neutral but I suppose we can rotate him and give everyone oversight (with little power).

I don't think we can run a parliament system perfectly in Nigeria. We may not have the resources at our disposal apart from the political will. Oh, no, not even in this Economic troubles, our main survival - Oil - is drying up international.

The constitution is very clear about who should in charge on happening event. But given the Nigeria socio-cultural peculiarities the constitution become a mere agreement principle.

What is to adapt democracy to the Nigeria way of life, not copy and paste.

I don't think we can run a parliament system perfectly in Nigeria. We may not have the resources at our disposal apart from the political will. Oh, no, not even in this Economic troubles, our main survival - Oil - is drying up international.

It is probably cheaper than what we have now. But my point is that the current impasse in the executive should be a discussion starter

The constitution is very clear about who should in charge on happening event. But given the Nigeria socio-cultural peculiarities the constitution become a mere agreement principle.

What is to adapt democracy to the Nigeria way of life, not copy and paste.
True. So maybe it is the people and not the system that needs to change. But we changed them in 2015 :)

I predicted this long ago...After 2023, Nigeria is going to have a prime minister.

Back