Sports Jose Mourinho Reacts To FIFA 48-team World Cup

kemi

Social Member
Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is in favour of FIFA's decision to expand the World Cup to 48 teams as he believes players will be better protected.

mou hand.jpg

It was announced on Tuesday that the proposal of 16 groups of three teams from the 2026 tournament onwards has been approved by the FIFA Council.

The influential European Club Association - of which United are a member - expressed their disapproval in the build up to the meeting in Zurich, but Mourinho is behind the reform.

He told FIFA.com: "I'm totally in favour. As a club manager, if the expansion meant more games, less holidays and less pre-season for players, I would say no. But it's important for critics to analyse and understand that expansion doesn't mean more matches. Players are protected and clubs are protected in this way.

"I prefer groups of three. Two matches and then through to the knockout stages or go home. This way, the two group matches are crucial, then the knockout stage is next which brings even more emotion.

"The expansion means that the World Cup will be even more of an incredible social event. More countries, more investment in different countries in infrastructure, in youth football.

"More nations taking part means more passion, more happiness, more enthusiasm. More countries means more Africans, Asians, Americans together.

"Football is developed in the clubs, so we can't expect football to explode in terms of quality at a World Cup. The World Cup is a social event and football can't relinquish this opportunity to further reflect fans' passion."

Back