Politics Judge Withdraws From Suswam's Trial Of Looted Funds


P

PressRoom

Guest
Justice A. R. Mohammed of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday withdrew from the ongoing trial of the former governor of Benue State, Dr. Gabriel Suswam. Mohammed disqualified himself from the matter, following an online media report alleging that he collected bribe from the defendant. Suswam, who governed Benue State from 2007 to 2015, is facing trial alongside his erstwhile Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Omodachi Okolobia.
Suswam.png
The duo were alleged to have looted proceeds of shares owned by Benue State government and Benue Investment and Property Company Ltd that is about N3.1billion. The court had earlier adjourned for the fourth prosecution witness, Mr. Abubakar Umar, to continue his evidence-in-chief.

However, at the resumed sitting, Justice Mohammed said he was no longer willing to preside over the trial, in view of the publication which he said had greatly tarnished his image before the public. He said it was better for him, in the interest of justice, to return the case-file to the Chief Judge of the High Court, Justice Ibrahim Auta, for it to be re-assigned to another Judge.

Source: Vanguard
 
Top