Sports Luis Enrique Admits Barcelona Will Struggle Without Messi

Barcelona manager, Luis Enrique, has described Lionel Messi's injury during his side's 2-1 victory over newly promoted Las Palmas on Saturday as unfortunate but insisted that this is the best time for the rest of the team to show the character the team is made off.

Enrique1.jpg

The four-time ballon d'Or winner was stretched out of the pitch after about 10 minutes of play at the Camp Nou, but unfortunately for both Messi and Barcelona, the injury will keep him out for 8 weeks.

Meamwhile the Catalans are hoping Messi will be back in time for this season's first leg of the El Classico at the Bernabau on November 21.

"It's always sad when a player gets injured. And if it's Messi everyone understands the importance he has in our team", the coach said.

"We don't see out games. The game seems to be completely under control and then a deflected shot flies in and you're made to sweat".

"A squad must know how to overcome these injuries. I'm sure we will perform at a high level. There are always injuries and if it's important it's up to the team. The team has to do the business. I've no doubt about it".

"No, no. Let's not talk like that. It's a test and will motivate my team even more. We must overcome these tests. We will accept the challenge. We have to improve our performances, this is something we can do. At these difficult times, it's when you see what your team is made of. I've no doubt they will do it".
"Barça shouldn't play differently without Messi. He helped us resolve several aspects, but now it is more down to the team effort".

"He didn't need to adapt to the full-back position. I hope more players can step up".

Back