Sports Maria Sharapova‘s New Memoir: Serena Hated Me For Beating Her Against All Odds

P

ProfRem

Five time Grand Slam tennis champion Maria Sharapova has revealed that Serena Williams hated her so much because she beat her, against all odds, at Wimbledon, Daily Mail quoted her new memoir, Unstoppable: My Life So Far, due for release next week.

In the memoir called “Unstoppable: My Life So Far“, she talks extensively about Serena Williams – including the time when she beat Serena Williams in the finals of Wimbledon at age 17.

According to Maria Sharapova, she heard Serena crying after the match and she believes Serena has never forgiven her as a result of that.

maria.JPG

She says: "I don’t think she’s ever forgiven me for it’ – witnessing this ‘low and vulnerable moment. I think Serena hated me for being the skinny kid who beat her, against all odds, at Wimbledon. I think she hated me for taking something that she believed belonged to her. I think she hated me for seeing her at her lowest moment. But mostly I think she hated me for hearing her cry. She’s never forgiven me for it.

Still talking about Serena, she says: “First of all her physical presence is much stronger and bigger than you realize watching TV. She has thick arms and thick legs and is so intimidating and strong. It’s the whole thing – her presence, her confidence, her personality. Even now, she can make me feel like a little girl.

In her new biography, Unstoppable: My Life So Far, Maria Sharapova opens up about her early days in Russia, defeating Serena Williams, and how her 15-month suspension took a toll on her in 2016.

Back