Entertainment MTV Base Responds to Controversy Over 'The Best Naija Songs Ever on MTV Base'

MTV Base, popular music channel has finally responded to the ongoing debate on social media platforms over the channel's programme titled 'The Best Naija Songs Ever on MTV Base,' which aired on Nigeria's 2014 Independence Day.

The channel came up with a list of top 20 artistes and songs, which was determined by MTV Base viewers who voted via the channels website (http://www.mtvbase.com). The songs on the list are:

1. 2Face: African Queen
2. 9ice: Gongo Aso
3. D’Banj: Oliver Twist
4. P Square Feat. Waje : Do Me
5. Wizkid: Holla At Your Boy
6. Davido: Dami Duro
7. Ice Prince: Oleku
8. D’Banj: Why Me
9. M.I.: Safe
10. Olu Maintain: Yahooze
11. Naeto C: Kini Big Deal
12. Davido: Skelewu
13. Banky W: Lagos Party
14. Wizkid: Pakorumo
15. Asa: Jailer
16. P Square: Chop My Money
17. Wande Coal: Bumper To Bumper
18. Dr Sid: Surulere
19. Flavour: Nwa Baby (Remix)
20. KCee: Limpopo

In a reaction to controversies emanating from voices that argued that certain artistes and songs were left out of the list, the Senior Vice President & Managing Director, Viacom International Media Networks (VINM), Alex Ikosi maintained that the ongoing debate was healthy for the industry.

“We are thrilled to see the passion with which people are engaging in the discussion about the Best Naija Tracks. There has been concern in some quarters that the list didn’t include some of Nigeria’s most seminal artists and songs – it seems as if some people may have misinterpreted the campaign. This list of tracks, as voted by the public, was never intended to reflect the Best Naija Tracks of all time; the creation of this campaign is part of the build up to our 10th birthday and it was supposed to highlight artistes that have been played on our channel since the launch of MTV Base in 2005, hence the title 'The Best Naija Tracks Ever on MTV Base.' We understand that the positioning could have been misleading on some of our platforms and we regret any confusion caused.

"Simultaneously, MTV Base is challenging music fans to create their own lists of Best Naija Tracks, and to post them on MTV Base social media assets, or to get involved in the conversation by using the hashtag #BaseBestNaijaTracks. Those engaging in the campaign stand the chance to have their comments featured in the roundtable discussion on MTV Base.”

Source: BellaNaija

#MtvBase

D'banj.jpg

Back