Politics National Conference: Delegates Express Concern over Committees’ Lists

• Thread starter Thread starter abujagirl
  • Start date Start date
A

abujagirl

Some delegates at the ongoing national conference in Abuja, Nigeria have complained about the composition of the committees’ lists and called on the secretariat to make necessary adjustments.

The delegates made the complaint at Wednesday’s plenary of the conference while discussing the lists of committees that were released by the secretariat

Oba Aderemi Adedapo, from Osun state, complained that delegates representing the National Council of Traditional Rulers of Nigeria were not well represented in the various committees.

Adedapo said that the traditional rulers were not adequately in some committees while in others they were not represented at all.

"We want to say that we are not being well represented in these committees and we don’t want to be sidelined this time again. This time around, we are representing the national council of traditional rulers of Nigeria and we are all lumped together.

"In the Committee on Land Tenure and National Boundaries we have nine of us in one lump sum. Although we do more of listening than talking, I think we want to be recognised and be given our shares. I will say you are under-utilising us,’’ Adedapo said.

Dr Kate Opareke, a Christian leader from South-East, who commended the secretariat on the composition of the committees, however, raised concern over the appointment of co-chairmen of the religion committee.

"I observe that the committee had co-chairman and in this conference we have a team of Christian leaders of six and Muslims leaders of six. One of the co-chairmen is a Muslim leader while the other co-chairman is not a Christian delegation.

"I think for the purpose of balance a Christian leader should also be appointed a co-chairman because that is the core committee that will disuse issues that concern religion,’’ Opareke said.

Prof. Iyorchia Ayu, a delegate representing North-Central, also observed that in the committee lists there were delegates whose names appeared in more than one committee.

"It also seems to me that if you are a lawyer, you must be in the judiciary, all traditional rulers have been put in lands committee and all civil society people are in labour committee. I also observed that all soldiers and police officers are in the security committee,’’ Ayu said.

He suggested that the delegates should be mixed up in different committees rather than putting them together in one.

"If all the professionals were grouped in one committee they may not benefit from the contributions of nonprofessional who may also have ideas in the various committees,’’ Ayu said.

Mr Olawale Okunniyi, delegate representing Civil Society Organisations, also observed that with the composition of the committees, some of the delegates might not be able to function well in their committees.

Okuniyi stressed the need for consultative approach to get the best from the conference.

Auwal Rafsanjani, representing a Civil Society Organisation in his contribution, appealed that delegates with genuine concern about the lists should be allowed to write to the secretariat for it to be administratively handled.

Rafsanjani also appealed to the conference secretariat to accommodate the concerns of the delegates.

national conference.jpg

Back