Sports Nigeria flirting with FIFA ban; Chris Giwa refuses to vacate NFF office

16e6f7fcea3a36d286799c0401bd9f93_412x3671.jpg
Nigeria is threading on troubled waters after Chris Giwa led executives refused to vacate the offices of the Nigeria Football Federation(NFF).

FIFA gave Nigeria up until 11pm on Monday for Giwa to stop parading himself as the president of the NFF,and for him to leave the secretariat of the football federation.

But an adamant Giwa is insisting that he has been elected as the new NFF president,saying that the keenly awaited NFF elections has been held.

FIFA in the letter they sent last week sought to know if the earlier planned September 4th election was feasible,adding that they do not recognize the August 26th congress that threw up Giwa.

"The (Executive Committee) is informing well meaning Nigerians that elections into the Executive Board of NFF has been successfully concluded" a statement read.

Giwa told reporters in Abuja that there won't be any other election into the NFF executive board.

“No, no, no there will never be an election on Sept. 4 because we will not and I repeat we will not allow anybody to mess up with the NFA, CAF and FIFA statutes, no matter who the person thinks he is.

“Where is it on earth that in less than one week you tell me you can organise an election where we have a statute giving us a mandatory period of time," he said.

On the threat of a FIFA ban with all this happening,Giwa said :“I am confident that Nigeria Football Association (NFA) will not be sanctioned because I know FIFA as an organisation that is not biased, an organisation that will listen to everybody and the right decision will be taken.

Last week,outgoing president of the NFF Aminu Maigari,alongside the general secretary Musa Amadu and Chris Green were arrested and detained by security officials,just before the proposed congress a week ago.

It has been from one problem to the other for Nigerian football since July,with FIFA even provisionally banning the country before rescinding that decision,however it looks as though another ban is imminent.

Back