Politics Nigeria: How Nyesom Wike Spies on His Political Enemies - Premium Times

L

LequteMan

Premium Times online news medium has published a report stating that several southern state governments are spying on their citizens.

The states mentioned are Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom. This is after the governments were exposed two years ago for the same act, Premium Times said.

Rotimi Amaechi, the current transport minister, was the first Nigerian politician to demand a Circle 3G’s telephone tracking technology as far back as 2010.

The then Rivers state governor reportedly invited V&V Limited to supply the gadgets for N2.3 billion but the deal failed when the relationship between both parties became strained.

Two years earlier, Amaechi picked up a similar gadget, the C4i (Command, Control, Communications, Computers, and Intelligence) technology deployed by an Israeli military security firm, MPD Systems.

"Mr. Amaechi had described the C4i as a tool to aid federal security in combating militancy and kidnappings within the state. But it was more than that. C4i was considered the perfect federal cover under which Mr. Amaechi’s political spying was carried out", Premium Times say.

It's believed that the current governor, Nyesom Wike, has inherited the operation. Someone close to the administration said the program was still running as at April 2017, but on a lower scale.

“Governor Amaechi started the surveillance policy and the Wike government inherited it when he came to the office,” the source said. “But I think it has now been scaled down significantly.”

The other state governors are reportedly still operating the spying operation.

Attachments

• nyesom wike3.jpg
    nyesom wike3.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 6
Back