Sports Nigeria Will Be Difficult To Beat Come Next Olympics; Junior Ajayi Roars

CS Sfaxien of Tunisia and Dream Team VI striker, Oluwafemi Ajayi Junior has warned Nigeria's prospective opponents in next year's Rio Olympic games to be careful of the Samson Siasia led team.

Nigeria qualified for the once-in-four years tournament as African champions, beating Algeria in the final of the African U23 nations cup in Senegal, and Ajayi disclosed the team will return to the drawing board to fix all the lapses in the squad In Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

“We are happy that we have qualified for the Olympics. I am also sure that by the time our technical crew works on this team and finalizes on the team for the Olympics we will not only be raring to go, but will be dangerous to play against in the competition."

The striker also reflected on his performance at the tournament where he scored two goals in Nigeria’s opening 3-2 win over Egypt.

“I think I am pleased with my performance because I was playing off position and as a footballer you are expected to play anywhere if the need arises. I will not say I am happy or fulfilled but rather relieved that after the tournament every player’s effort was worth it,” he disclosed.

“Coach Samson Siasia is not only a coach to us but a father and the rest of the technical crew has been the reason behind the success of the team so far,” he said.

“He treats us like his own sons and has that magic to make you as a player not only be fond of him but to also want to play and win matches for him and to be happy.

“You could see the way we were able to win some difficult matches in the competition in Senegal. We always doubled our efforts in matches in order not to let him down.

“I am happy that God eventually crowned our efforts by winning the competition and being crowned African champions,” he disclosed.

Ajayi started playing in the U23 side from his time at Shooting Stars and was glad that the clause to participate in the U23 Afcon was included in his contract with Sfaxien.

“Your country will always be your country and every one wants to contribute to the growth of his fatherland,” he said.

“I am happy that the clause was included in the contract I signed with CS Sfaxien and it has yielded positive dividends by winning the Africa U23 Nations Cup.” goal

Back