Politics Nigerian Gov't Jailed My Father For Not Sending Me To School - Atiku

P

ProfRem

Former vice president, Atiku Abubakar said that local authorities in Adamawa State imprisoned his father for refusing to send him to school.

He made the disclosure at the Ford Foundation Special Reunion to mark the 80th Anniversary of Ford Foundation in Lagos.

The former Vice President revealed that like many parents of his generation, his father attempted to stop him from acquiring western education because he needed his help in the farm.

He said, “Although he later relented, my father was put in prison by local authorities for refusing to send me to school. Like many parents of his generation, he needed my help in the farm.

atiku.jpe

“My encounter with Peace Corps teachers in the 1960s had a profound impact on my life. It helped to instill in me the virtues of hard work, critical thinking, and commitment to excellence.

“The teachers encouraged us to develop a ‘can-do’ spirit and never to despair in order to bring out the best in us to enable us to succeed in life. In my young eyes those Peace Corpers represented excellence.
“My exposure to education encouraged me to embrace savings and investment from very early in my career", he said.

Back