Politics Nigeria's Politicians, Elites Threaten Unity Among Nigerians- Prof. Mahmud

• Thread starter Thread starter LequteMan
  • Start date Start date
L

LequteMan

Kwara- Prof. Sakah Mahmud of the Kwara State University, Malete, while speaking with newsmen on Wednesday in Okuta, Baruten Local Government Area of Kwara, blamed politicians and a cross section of the elite for promoting issues which threaten the nation’s unity.

Rather than making Nigeria strong, "our population and diversity are being used to threaten our unity," he said.

"But I don't believe we are not united. I think it is the politicians and the elite who are disunited.

"They are selfish; most of them are selfish and they are the ones that promote the idea of disintegration.

"I went to a market in Ilorin, nobody asked whether I was Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo before they sold items to me. We related with each other one-on-one," he said.

Mahmud said Nigeria had a chance for a better future if its unity was not compromised.

"I believe this country will be better if it remains one. The larger a country, the better opportunity it has to develop,’’ he said.

Back