Opinion - 5 Controversial Quranic Verses That Should Deeply Concern Every Muslim

M

mrsam

DISCLAIMER: THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT IN NO WAY REPRESENT THE OPINION OF NIGERIAN BULLETIN

The Quran, literally meaning "the recitation"; is the central religious text of Islam, which Muslims believe to be a revelation from God. It is widely regarded as the finest piece of literature in the Arabic language. These five verses however, should concern every Muslims viewing such from modern realities.

gug.jpeg

1) "Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Messenger have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection." Quran 9:29

Is the Quran inciting violence against non-believers?

2) "Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great." Quran 4:34

Is the Quran inciting violence against women?

3) As for the thief, both male and female, cut off their hands. It is the reward of their own deeds, an exemplary punishment from Allah. Allah is Mighty, Wise." Quran 5:38

Anyone caught stealing should have his hands decapitated

4) If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess, that will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice. Quran 4:3

I personally have an issue with polygamy. Many women’s physical and emotional needs have been neglected.

5) I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" Quran 8:12

No more freedom of religion?

This article was sent in by a philosopher who resides in Lagos

Last edited:
1.If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one (a sword).” (Luke 22:36)
(is the Bible inciting violence against humanity?)
2. . “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26)

Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.(1 Samuel 15:3)
3. Thus the Bible said
"If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep. ... If he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft. -- (Exodus 1-3)
So what should be done with poor thieves? Should they be sold into slavery or have their hands cut off? (Or should we cut off their hands and then sell them into slavery?)
4. Polygamous : Why is it that all the prophets Jesus sent where polygamous? Abraham had three wives Sarah, Keturah and Hagar. Genesis 16:1,3&14, Genesis 25:1,5&6.
King David had six wives and many concubines 2 Samuel 5:13, 20:3.
A man can marry to infinite amount of woman. See: 2 Chronicles 11:21, Judges 8:30-31, Genesis 31:17 and Matthew 25:1-3.

Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'(1 Samuel 15:3)

:

11 "This is what the LORD says: 'Out of your own household, I am going to bring calamity upon you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.' "
(2 Samuel 12: 11)

This article was sent by a philosopher who resides in Maiduguri

"18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18. hope you can differentiate between history, prophecy and doctrine.

1.If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one (a sword).” (Luke 22:36)
2. . “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26)

Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.(1 Samuel 15:3)
3. Thus the Bible said
"If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep. ... If he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft. -- (Exodus 1-3)
So what should be done with poor thieves? Should they be sold into slavery or have their hands cut off? (Or should we cut off their hands and then sell them into slavery?)
4. Polygamous : Why is it that all the prophets Jesus sent where polygamous? Abraham had three wives Sarah, Keturah and Hagar. Genesis 16:1,3&14, Genesis 25:1,5&6.
A man can marry to infinite amount of woman. See: 2 Chronicles 11:21, Judges 8:30-31, Genesis 31:17 and Matthew 25:1-3.

Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'(1 Samuel 15:3)

:

11 "This is what the LORD says: 'Out of your own household, I am going to bring calamity upon you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.' "

I am a Muslim. But I am deeply ashamed of what you have put up. Why are you quoting Biblical verses to counter what the writer put up? Did he mention the Bible? Was he comparing the Bible with Quran? Did he claim he was a Christian? Why are you trying to stoke religious tensions? If you are a true Muslim as your name suggests, why can't you explain to the writer the verses he listed above so that maybe, just maybe he may see the light and also get converted to Islam, the only true religion.

3. Thus the Bible said

:

http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/thr...should-deeply-concern-every-christian.188262/

I am a Muslim. But I am deeply ashamed of what you have put up. Why are you quoting Biblical verses to counter what the writer put up? Did he mention the Bible? Was he comparing the Bible with Quran? Did he claim he was a Christian? Why are you trying to stoke religious tensions? If you are a true Muslim as your name suggests, why can't you explain to the writer the verses he listed above so that maybe, just maybe he may see the light and also get converted to Islam, the only true religion.
Maybe you are not actually a Muslim or rather a Muslim by name, here Is something a little you should know about me, I attended up to 3 missionary schools in Jos where i was born and brought up and considering the nature of understanding people have back then it will be a huge understatement to say hate is what people preach these days.
You should be asking yourself which religion dominates Nigeria or better still if things like this should make the papers in the first place or still check the Facebook comments on this post and judge for yourself who are commenting and what they are saying about Islam. In case you don't know, the post is meant to drive a wedge between people of different religions.

Maybe you are not actually a Muslim or rather a Muslim by name, here Is something a little you should know about me, I attended up to 3 missionary schools in Jos where i was born and brought up and considering the nature of understanding people have back then it will be a huge understatement to say hate is what people preach these days.
You should be asking yourself which religion dominates Nigeria or better still if things like this should make the papers in the first place or still check the Facebook comments on this post and judge for yourself who are commenting and what they are saying about Islam. In case you don't know, the post is meant to drive a wedge between people of different religions.
You are being hypocritical. I would suggest you read up the line @Jules put up and also read the comments on Facebook and see what fellow Muslims like us put up. The writer never said Islam was bad, nor did he say Christianity is better than Islam. All he wanted was clarification on some verses of our Quran.

The best thing would have been for you to explain to him instead of quoting biblical verses. The problem with religious people is that we are too sentimental. Somebody asks questions that pertain to our faith and suddenly we get defensive.

The Qur'an is not only a book of revelation but a book of history which recounts incidents and important events. Whether you agree with its version of events or not, it is at least one perspective that must not be lost. Those verses in the Qur'an remain as a testament to what was said and what happened.

Those verses which talk of fighting and responding with force were revealed during a crisis when the Muslims were compelled to fight and defend their cause. The hardened polytheists of Arabia would accept nothing other than the expulsion of the Muslims or their reversion to paganism and who repeatedly broke their treaties, that the Muslims were ordered to treat in the same way – to fight them or expel them.

Such verses are no worse than a quote of any leader or General throughout the world having to lead his people during a conflict; you will quite easily find fiery speeches, quotes and rhetoric intended to motivate and inspire his people to defend themselves and to attack the enemy. These verses serve as a lesson to those who should encounter persecution, invasion or attack by others. The verses teach us that while it is morally right to defend ourselves, we must recognise the limits of war:

"Fight in God’s cause against those who fight you, but do not overstep the limits: God does not love those who overstep the limits" - 2:190

"Slay them wherever you find them and expel them from where they expelled you; but persecution is worse than killing" - 2:191

Would you strip all history books of the quotes and incendiary speeches where Churchill called his people to arms? He also spoke of destroying his enemies and of casting fear into the hearts of the occupying "German forces" and it's allies. How about historical quotes from the US despising the Japanese who attacked Pearl Harbour?!

During revelation, the opposing sides were formed around religion, hence the verses mention the enemy by their faith but this is not based on an inherent hatred of other faiths. Any verse in the Qur'an pertaining to war is limited to a certain time and context, and does not inspire a Muslim today to go and kill every Jew or Christian just because the verse mentions them as our enemies once upon a time! But they do serve as a reminder and a lesson so that we know how to respond to oppression and violence when we are compelled to act.

And I thought I was dumb! If you want to know a hypocrite all you need to do is get the mirror.
You see, unlike others I always try to stay away from matters that doesn't concern you when it comes to religion particularly.
I get what you are trying to do but it's not going to work, because that's not how to level a plain field.

You are being hypocritical. I would suggest you read up the line @Jules put up and also read the comments on Facebook and see what fellow Muslims like us put up. The writer never said Islam was bad, nor did he say Christianity is better than Islam. All he wanted was clarification on some verses of our Quran.

The best thing would have been for you to explain to him instead of quoting biblical verses. The problem with religious people is that we are too sentimental. Somebody asks questions that pertain to our faith and suddenly we get defensive.

Misofunyan.....u r really negatively indiscribable.....if a philosopher from lagos had written a post inciting verses from the quran nd a philosopher from maiduguri had d sort of verses from the bible with none of them plainly not stating there religion....then its ur previledge to comment wat u think nd not try to teach ppl wat to do wen u can actually do it ursef.....

U were quick to criticize ibrahim...telling him to just explain d quranic verses incited...instead of critisizing hez endeavour u shud av done wat u feel he shud av done...he did his bit nd u shud do urs...

U were also quick to comfirm ibrahim as a muslim nd defend d oda person as to be anonimous....

Check ursef...ur deen z leaving u...
Wat u cant do, dnt blaim odas of nt doin it...he atleast did somtin nd al u did was criticise...u avnt had anytin to say abt d published note..

Last edited by a moderator:
I think matters like this shouldn't be taken for granted, everybody has the right to say your mind but you have to weigh it to see what the consequences might be and rule over it. Pls, perform what we called triple test. I think the matter shouldn't be brought in the first place. MAY ALLAH (SWT) grant us understanding!

Beliefs have nothing to do with Truth.No religion is higher than Truth.All religions are man- made inventions. We can't know what God or Truth is as long as we are conditioned and following someone else spiritual experiences.

Back