Politics PDP Govs,Leaders Sacrificed Their Ambitions By Endorsing President Jonathan – Akpabio

A

abujagirl

Akwa Ibom state governor, Godswill Akpabio on Wednesday said that governors elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP and other party leaders sacrificed their political ambitions by endorsing President Goodluck Jonathan as the party's candidate for the 2015 presidential election.

According to LEADERSHIP, speaking during the PDP Performance Publicity tour in Akwa Ibom, the governor said, "We are not saying that the president will not face the general elections. So the idea of him spending presidential time, instead of facing insurgency, food insufficiency and other things that may affect the country and begin to campaign for the party ticket when he is already the incumbent president is what we want to avoid . I think this is a very fantastic model of internal democracy.

"What we only said and did is, let’s sacrifice our individual ambitions so that Mr. President will have a second term. We are not saying that other people should not contest election, but saying that, as PDP governors, that we want to join hands and support him to win the second term. It does not mean that any person who wants to contest should not contest. We are indeed deepening democracy by sacrificing our own ambitions.

"Instead of fracturing the party at the end of the convention, we want to move as one family to elect the presidential candidate at the convention. And that is democracy in action. So I don’t think anybody should criticise it, rather we should be commended for not behaving like past governors who, by now, nine or 15 of them would have declared for presidency and then confusion will start in the party. So the people who sacrificed their ambition to support the president; should they be castigated or commended? I must therefore thank the PDP NEC for adopting the position of the PDP governors. It is left for the National Convention to ratify. This is an evidence that Nigeria is changing.

"I think the opposition is rattled. Any time that the PDP makes a move and the opposition is criticising, then you know that that thing is biting them and if they praise you, you should be worried, Akpabio added.

#Akpabio #AkwaIbom #PDP

akpabio.jpg

Back