Premiership title between six teams – Arsene Wenger

C

Chris Maduewesi

With the new English Premier League commencing today,Arsenal manager,Arsene Wenger has predicted that this year’s title will be keenly contested by six teams.
Wenger whose side have not won a title in eight years,believes that this is an open championship for six teams: Manchester United and City,Chelsea,Arsenal,Tottenham and Liverpool.
“It is maybe more open at the moment because you have many teams who can compete for [the title],” Wenger said. “If you look across Europe, this is the only country where at the start it is very difficult to predict who is going to win it,” he added.
“That’s less the case in nearly all the other countries and that’s why the Premier League is more interesting. I believe we are picking from six teams, including Liverpool and Tottenham.”
“Tottenham finished just one point behind us last year with 72 points and that’s for me a benchmark. For me, if you make 70 points, it means there is not a big difference between you and the first place.”
“You don’t know how [the managerial changes] will affect this season. Do you consider Mourinho as a new manager at Chelsea? Certainly not. Moyes has experience at the top level and Pellegrini as well. I believe these clubs have stability with the players they have and the managers coming in are all quality, so we cannot expect any weakness from that,” Wenger added.

Continue reading...

Back