Politics Presidency Speaks On Arrest of Judges - Corruption is Our Target,Not the Judiciary

A

abujagirl

The Presidency has issued a statement on the arrest of several Nigerian judges by the Department of State Security Services.

buhari port.jpg

A statement issued by Presidential aide, Garba Shehu described the arrest as a fight against corruption. The statement read, ''The Presidency assures that the President reserves his highest respect for the institution of the judiciary as the third arm of government. To this end, the President will not do anything to undermine its independence.

''President Buhari remains a committed democrat, in words and in his action, and will not take any action in violation of the constitution. The recent surgical operation against some judicial officers is specifically targeted at corruption and not at the judiciary as an institution.

''In a robust democracy such as ours, there is bound to be a plurality of opinions on any given issue, but there is a convergence of views that the country has a corruption problem that needs to be corrected. But reports by a section of the media are giving us cause for concern.

''In undertaking the task of reporting, the media should be careful about the fault lines they open. It is wrong to present this incident as a confrontation between the executive and judicial arms of government. The Presidency has received assurances from the DSS that all due processes of the law, including the possession of search and arrest warrants were obtained before the searches. To suggest that the government is acting outside the law in a dictatorial manner is to breach the interest of the state.

We have not seen judges arrested in this county before.
The judges of those ages were men of integrity.

Some judges of todays are corrupt and that doesn't mean that they are above the law.

You can never exhaust the evils of corruption.

@kayode ajayi in our enthusiastic bid to "eradicate" corruption, we should be careful not to provide the nursery for the growth of monstrous dictatorship.

Soon, the SSS would think it has the authority to arrest anybody (innocent or guilty), and then fabricate charges afterwards.

I will not cry for the judges for obvious reasons but we have to be careful what you wish for.

The foundation for a lasting system of justice is to follow due process. If it was followed in this case, then great. If it was not, then we should all be scared as it means politicians can do as they wish, when they wish. What Nigerians expect from Buhari is the foundation of the institutions that will out live all of us and stand for justice and fairness. The job will not be completed by him but let us make a start.

Let the indicted judges face the law like others, the journalists, bankers, accountants, doctors, artisans, among others.

In other words, let the DSS; EFCC ... do thier jobs.

I will not cry for the judges for obvious reasons but we have to be careful what you wish for.

The foundation for a lasting system of justice is to follow due process. If it was followed in this case, then great. If it was not, then we should all be scared as it means politicians can do as they wish, when they wish. What Nigerians expect from Buhari is the foundation of the institutions that will out live all of us and stand for justice and fairness. The job will not be completed by him but let us make a start.

Committee was set up, They recommended sack for those corrupt judges. I think President Buhari is haunting to recover the yam from the yam eaters.Buharilaugh.JPG

THROWBACK:
Nigeria’s Judiciary is my main headache in corruption war – Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari had on January 30, 2016 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, said ongoing fight against corruption in Nigeria could be effectively tackled with the strong support of the judiciary.

A statement issued in Abuja by the President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, said Mr. Buhari stated this while speaking at a town hall meeting with Nigerians living in Ethiopia.

“On the fight against corruption vis-à-vis the judiciary, Nigerians will be right to say that is my main HEADACHE for now".

@kayode ajayi in our enthusiastic bid to "eradicate" corruption, we should be careful not to provide the nursery for the growth of monstrous dictatorship.

Soon, the SSS would think it has the authority to arrest anybody (innocent or guilty), and then fabricate charges afterwards.
As much as I agree with you, caution must be exercised by both the executive and the judiciary arms of the same govt.

Impunity doesn't manifest only in the execution of the laws but there have been manifests of impunity in conflicting judgements from the courts.Why? The answer is more of inducement than partisans.

My advice to the NBA and the NJC is not to frustratingly create a dictator in the Aso Rock.

As much as I agree with you, caution must be exercised by both the executive and the judiciary arms of the same govt.

Impunity doesn't manifest only in the execution of the laws but there have been manifests of impunity in conflicting judgements from the courts.Why? The answer is more of inducement than partisans.

My advice to the NBA and the NJC is not to frustratingly create a dictator in the Aso Rock.
meme medal2.jpg

Back