Politics President Jonathan, Obasanjo Mourn Civil War Hero Brig.-Gen. Benjamin Adekunle aka Black Scorpion

A

abujagirl

President Goodluck Jonathan has described the late civil war hero, Brig.-Gen. Benjamin Adekunle, as one of the most celebrated military commanders of his time.

In a statement by Dr Reuben Abati, his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Jonathan described the deceased as one of the most celebrated military commanders of his generation.

Popularly known as Black Scorpion, Adekunle died at the age of 78 in Lagos on Saturday morning. He was one of the most popular figures in the Nigerian Civil War that lasted between 1967 and 1970.

"President Goodluck Jonathan extends sincere commiserations to the family of late Brig.-Gen. Benjamin Adekunle who passed away earlier today. The President joins them and other Nigerians in mourning the very courageous soldier who achieved national fame during the Nigerian civil war.

"He was a gallant leader of the 3rd Marine Commandoes in the successful effort to defend the unity and territorial integrity of the country.

"Jonathan believes that Adekunle’s civil war heroics made him easily one of the most celebrated military commanders of his generation.They have ensured that he will always be honoured and remembered as a valiant soldier who served his fatherland exceptionally well at a very trying time in its history.

"As the Black Scorpion’s soul returns to the Almighty Creator, Jonathan enjoins his family, friends, former military colleagues and all who mourn his passing to also give thanks to God for blessing the nation with fearless soldiers and patriots of his calibre. These men stand ready to lay down their lives for the peace, unity and progress of their country.

"He prays that God Almighty will comfort the grieving family and associates of Adekunle and grant his departed soul eternal rest’’, the statement added.

Also, former President Olusegun Obasanjo speaking on Adekunle's death said the nation lost a rare gem.

Obasanjo stated this in a statement issyued in Abeokuta on Saturday.

"I received with shock the news of the death of my colleague, friend and course mate, Benjamin Adekunle.

"Today, I can recall with fond memories our relationship as course mates and what he was able to achieve at Teshi in Accra, Ghana. I also recall that he made no mean contributions in ending the Nigeria civil war. His efforts will forever be remembered and I pray for the repose of his soul.

"I am very shocked by this news today’’, the statement said.

Oyo State Governor, Sen. Abiola Ajimobi on his part has described the death of the civil war hero, as a monumental loss to the country.

The governor said, "Although Gen. Adekunle had for some time now been facing some health challenges, his death at this material time when the country is passing through difficult times, in terms of security and national cohesion, is tragic and shocking.

"The officer exploited his military expertise to rescue Nigeria from the brink of precipice and ensured that the country remained one indivisible entity.

"Adekunle served the Nigerian Army with all his might and he was equally celebrated but never compromised on the need to end the agonizing civil war and bring peace back to the country.

"Since death is an inevitable end for all mortals, the late Gen. Adekunle should, therefore, be celebrated for his nationalistic posturing rather than being mourned.

"That Nigeria still remains one today is a pointer to the fact that Black Scorpion lived a fulfilled life,’’ he said.

#Blackscorpion #GoodluckJonathan #Obasanjo #Ajimobi #Adekunle #Oyo #Lagos

RIP.jpg

Back