Metro Principal, Police, Borno Officials Give Conflicting Reports on Number of Missing Schoolgirls

• Thread starter Thread starter LequteMan
  • Start date Start date
L

LequteMan

Officials of the Borno Government on Monday at the Presidential Villa during a meeting convened by the First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan in Abuja gave conflicting report about the number of girls that were abducted in the Government Girls School Chibok.

The Principal of the school, Hajiya Asabe Kwabura, said 395 girls registered for the exams before the attack on her school; 53 girls had returned while 223 were pending.

"We have received 53 girls but 223 are still missing. Some of the returned girls have also refused to continue with their examination due to fear.

``Records of the students were burnt down during the rampage but I have a few on my laptop. I was on admission in Maiduguri, as a result of health challenges duing the time of the attack

``I am a diabetic patient, I went to Maiduguri for checkup. I usually go every two weeks. We only have night watchmen.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Alhaji Tanko Lawan said according to documents in his possession, 41 girls had returned and he was unsure of the number of those missing.

``According to our documentation, 41 girls have been returned to their parents. The police did not at any time hinder them from seeing their parents.

``The principal did not request for security when the students were writing their WAEC,’’ Lawan said.

The Commissioner for Education, Alhaji corroborated the principal that 53 girls escaped but could not give specific number of those still missing girls.

``I took the letter and WAEC officials to the Deputy Governor but he was not around. I said it is better we apply and get the school secured because it would be impossible for us to relocate all schools.

``We agreed that the exam will hold in areas we feel are safe. We worked a way to get the question papers. We said all papers should come from Adamawa.

The Head of the Nigeria National Office of the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), Mr Charles Eguridu had on Friday said 530 students enrolled for the exams in the school.

Out of the number, 135 were males while 395 were females while 189 were relocated to Uba, Adamawa.

Shedding more light on the issue he said: ``387 girls from our record sat for the English examination before the abductions while only 80 sat for math after the insurgents’ attack.’’

Attachments

• kidnapping.jpg
    kidnapping.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 9
Back