Politics Senate Leader Reveals How UN Plans to Cede More Nigerian Territories to Cameroon

L

LequteMan

The Senate Leader, Sen. Victor Ndoma-Egba (PDP-Cross River), has alerted the Senate on renewed moves by the UN Demarcation Committee to cede more territories of Nigeria to Cameroon.

Speaking under Order 42 of the Senate Standing Rules, Ndoma-Egba told the Senate that border demarcation between Nigeria and Cameroon was currently ongoing, adding that the exercise was generating anxiety in his constituency.

``The exercise is going on in my constituency and it is causing a lot of anxiety among my constituents.

``They fear that at the end of the exercise, we will be losing communities to Cameroon,’’ Ndoma-Egba said.

He later told journalists that he would get details of exercise, adding that the matter was a motion before the Senate to be discussed when it resumes from recess.

``I have information that right now, pursuant to the Green Tree Agreement that resulted in the ceding of Bakassi to Cameroon that some boundary adjustment exercises is going on.

``They are right now in a place called Danari in Boki Local Government Area of Cross River, and it is in my constituency.

``And there is a lot of anxiety among the people that the exercise will result in loss of territory to Cameroon.

``I don’t have the details, but I am going to the constituency now and when I get home, I will get more details and bring a formal motion on the floor,’’ he said.

Ndoma-Egba said the Green Tree Agreement extended beyond Cross River to establish international borders in Borno and Adamawa states.

``The Green Tree Agreement was not all about Bakassi; it involved well established international borders from Borno.

``We have borders with Cameroon from Borno state through Adamawa and down to Cross River,’’ Ndoma-Egba said.

Earlier in his ruling, Senate President David Mark stated emphatically that Nigeria would never ``under whatsoever guise, cede any portion of her territory to any country’’.

``This country must never, never under any circumstance surrender one millimeter of her land to any country irrespective of who is supervising it, whether it is the United Nations or African Union,’’ Mark said.

images (26).jpg

Back