Sports Sunday Oliseh Needs Our Support- Joseph Yobo

Former Super Eagles captain, Joseph Yobo has urged Nigerians to support Sunday Oliseh and the senior national team as they are set to face Tanzania in far away Dar Es Salam on Saturday.

Nigeria won their first game of the 2017 African Cup of Nations against Chad in June 2-0 and are billed to play their second this weekend in Tanzania.

Yobo, who made a 100 cap in Brazil last year said it was painful Nigeria did not make it to the 2015 edition but explained that's it's time forge ahead and forget the past.

“This first game is very important. I am happy that the Nigeria Football Federation made provision for a chartered aircraft for the team. It was very painful that we did not qualify for the last AFCON. We have to put that behind us now and forge ahead. We have a new coach and he needs our support,” he said.

“Even if the result is not as palatable as we desire, we have to be patient with him. If the team does not play as well as we want, we should also remember that this is a new coach. It will take a while for him to impart his philosophy to the players. It is a gradual process but I know he will surely do well.”

His added, “When I broke into the national team, Oliseh was the captain. He was one of those who helped put me through those early days. His leadership qualities were outstanding. He was really charismatic. One key thing is that he is very passionate about the game. You remember when he was ill and defied doctors’ order to play and save Nigeria against Senegal at the 2000 AFCON in Lagos?

“It is that passion that will see him do well as the national team coach. One other thing is that he is so knowledgeable about the game. He has played football at the highest level with very reputable clubs. There is a lot that the young boys will learn from him. I sincerely see him doing well with the team. He needs our support.” Punch
Yobo.jpg

Back