Sports Super Eagles friendly: We should have easily won the game - Keshi

rsz_pic_9_media_chat_on_nigeria-ethiopia_world_cup_qualifier_in_abuja.jpg
Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi believes that the failure of his players to stick to their game plan in the game against Greece on Tuesday made them to draw the match they would have won easily.

The African champions were held to a goalless draw - their third successive draw following a 2-2 draw with Italy late last year and a similar scoreline against Scotland last week. 

“It’s a game we should have won easily, but here we are not playing to our style,” Keshi said after the match. “We play possession football and press the opposition to give up, but we didn’t do that till towards the end of the game. However, it’s part of the learning curve and we will get there before the World Cup starts,” he was quoted as saying on KickOffNigeria.com 

The former Mali and Togo coach added that most of the players wanted to impress, but noted that when such things happen, the manager has to understand the realities. 

Keshi while commenting on Osaze Odemwingie's performance, said that players that have been out of the team for a long time would desperately want to make up for lost time, but ended up making mistakes in the process. 

“Osaze is one of our versatile players who can play anywhere in the forward line and he tried to give his all against Greece, but it was simply not his day. Even when I shifted him to the right wing he kept pushing, but as a footballer myself I knew he has to rest and give his best at the World Cup.” 

Speaking of his expectations in the next game against USA, Keshi declared that he expects a better game from his players. 

“With Jurgen Klinsmann in charge we expect a little bit of German mentality, but we have a Nigerian antidote and we hope to see a better game,”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back