Sports Super Eagles victory saved Keshi's job- Dosu Joseph

A 1996 Atlanta Olympics gold medalist, Joseph Dosu has said that the Super Eagles victory against Sudan on Wednesday has saved Stephen Keshi from being fired.

Nigeria defeated the Sudanese national team 3-1 at the Abuja national stadium to rank 3rd on the table as well as to keep their hopes of qualifying for the AFCON finals in Morocco next year alive.

The former dream team goalkeper expressed dissatisfaction towards the Eagles' lack of composure compared to the unfancied visitors.

"I must confess that the Sudanese were more coordinated than the Super Eagles," he told Goal. "They held on to the ball, passed the ball without stress and they were able to move freely from the defence to the middle down to the attack.

"For now, I think it will bring the tension down because everybody will relax a bit and see how other games go but I think its good for Keshi, he won, because if the game had ended in a draw or defeat that could have been the end as Eagles’ coach.

"As it stands now, the tension would go down though whether he continues or not remains the question but I can assure you that he will be given the benefit of doubt to be in charge and it is good his team won today."

Nigeria are the reigning Afcon champions but they might need to win their last two matches to have any chance of reaching the finals next year - but Dosu is simply relieved that Keshi's men avoided the nightmare of dropping more points.

"We wanted the victory badly, but then we’re still behind Congo and South Africa," he added. "With this, we hope to beat Congo away then return home and defeat South Africa.

"Let’s see how it goes but the most important thing now is to win our remaining two games to stand a chance of qualifying for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco, but the most important thing is this victory."

South Africa's 0-0 draw with Congo has fortuitously left both African nations within Nigeria's sights in Group A.goal

Back