Metro The tweet that launched #BringBackOurGirls - Dw.de

Vunderkind

Social Member
michelle obama.jpg

For weeks, the plight of more than 200 Nigerian girls kidnapped and trafficked by Islamist terrorists drew little attention internationally. A Nigerian lawyer's tweet marked the starting point of a now global campaign.

Casual news readers could be excused for assuming it was just last week when the now highly publicized kidnapping of more than 200 Nigerian school girls took place. That's when reports of their abduction began leading news coverage, a full three weeks after the crime occurred in the night beginning April 14.

It's thanks in large part to an initially uncoordinated campaign launched by local Nigerian activists that the girls' disappearance didn't continue to fly under the radar at major news providers. The campaign began on April 23 with a single tweet by Nigerian lawyer Ibrahim M. Abdullahi, the first to use the now viral #BringBackOurGirls tag, amid what he calls "complete dissatisfaction" with his government's response to the incident.

Click here to read more

Source: #

Thanks Vunderkind. I've always wanted to know the person that started this tweet. As usual, my laziness got the better of me.

Ibrahim should be really proud of himself now.

He should be proud joor. How many "everybody else" got their hashtags to be this popular?

If he's too modest, I'll help him to be proud jare.

LOL actually, he didn't get popularity from his hashtag. Unfortunately, someone else got the praise from CNN, and the whole world still thinks a @marystrawberry is the legit originator of the hashtag.

Chineke!! This is the kind of prayer folks at Mountain of Fire pray against continually; a stolen glory.

You would have added this piece of information in the article before allowing me to waste my pride for the guy... painful part is that you hinted I stop earlier *very sad indeed*

Back