World Trump Towers Above His Rivals In New York Primaries

P

ProfRem

Ten months after announcing his improbable presidential candidacy at the midtown building that bears his name, Donald Trump returned to celebrate Tuesday's crushing primary win far ahead his Republican opponents.

Trump, whose campaign has appalled the Republican establishment, won 60.5 percent of the vote to 14.5 for his evangelical rival Ted Cruz and 25.1 for Ohio Governor John Kasich, with most of the votes counted, CNN said. “Senator Cruz is just about mathematically eliminated,” declared the 69-year-old to cheers and applause from supporters at Trump Tower.

The Texas senator, who has projected himself as the only Republican capable of beating Trump, is widely disliked across the state for insulting New York’s supposedly non-conservative values earlier in the campaign

donaldtr.jpg

"I want to just thank everybody," Trump gushed. "I have great, great admiration and praise for the city of New York and the state of New York. I can think of nowhere that I would rather have this victory."

Trump earned his moment to gloat, but the race is far from over. While he's right that Cruz no longer has a path to victory by winning pledged delegates alone, the real estate mogul is still in the fight of his life to win the 1,237 delegates needed to clinch the nomination.

If he falls short, Cruz's more sophisticated campaign looks well-positioned to defeat him at July's Republican convention.

Back