Politics Tukur Urges New PDP to Unite with Old PDP for National Confab

L

LequteMan

Bamanga-Tukur.jpg

In a signed statement on Tuesday, the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Bamanga Tukur said: “I appeal to members of the PDP to align with the President on the national confab agenda. I also appeal to our aggrieved members to return to the PDP for us to forge a common endeavour towards rebuilding the party and our country in particular.

“For this reason, I will not shy away from begging our party members to come together so we can enter the national confab like a team and set examples for the rest of Nigeria.

“In doing that, we would have demonstrated that we remain the most serious party, not only in Nigeria but in Africa”.

According to THE NATION, Tukur said the PDP was excited by the government’s desire to bring all ethnic nationalities in the country together for discussions on the progress and future of the country.

He commended President Goodluck Jonathan for responding positively to the yearnings of the Nigerian people for a national conference and wondered why the idea of the conference was being criticised by certain individuals and groups in the country.

He dubbed the critics as hypocrites, saying that many of them had called for the conference in the past and had pressurized President Goodluck Jonathan to set things in motion for the talks.

He admitted that PDP is presently at a crossroads, a development which he said, is normal in democracies.

According to him, what isn’t normal is “a situation where dissenting members resolve to permanently stand apart with little regard for the party’s starting line, past efforts in building the party, as well as common aspirations in raising the party to be the most formidable among all.”

He restated his determination to pursue with vigour the revival of PDP and to put the country on the path of sustainable growth and development.

Back