World UK: David Cameron Bows Out Today, Theresa May Prepares For Day One As Prime Minister

P

PressRoom

David Cameron will in some moments leave Downing Street as British Prime Minister and leader of the Conservatives. He will be succeeded by Ms. Theresa May.

Speaking with Telegraph UK, Mr Cameron said: "I came into Downing Street to confront our problems as a country and lead people through difficult decisions so that together we could reach better times.

"As I leave today, I hope that people will see a stronger country, a thriving economy, and more chances to get on in life. It has been a privilege to serve the country I love.

David Cameron will attend his final Prime Minister's Questions at 12pm.

He will make a final address from Downing Street in the afternoon before driving to Buckingham Palace at around 5pm to formally tender his resignation to the Queen.

Shortly afterwards Theresa May will meet the Queen and be confirmed as Mr Cameron's successor, arriving at Downing Street as the second female Prime Minister in Britain’s history. Mrs May will then begin announcing her Cabinet appointments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back