Sports Van Gaal’s 8 Most Memorable Moments at Man Utd

kemi

Social Member
Louis van Gaal's two-year tenure at Manchester United came to a close on Monday morning as he was relieved of his managerial duties.

Here, we looks back at 10 of his madcap moments as Red Devils boss.

1. Falling over against Arsenal

Van Gaal has been criticised for showing a lack of passion on the touchline by the Red Devils faithful but the Dutchman showed plenty during their 3-2 Premier League win over Arsenal in February.

lvg ars.jpg

2. Dossier about Sam Allardyce's long-ball claims

Following United's 1-1 draw at West Ham during the 2014-15 season, then-Hammers boss Sam Allardyce claimed that the visitors were long-ball merchants - much to Van Gaal's irk.

In defence at press conference, Van Gaal said 'I have made an interpretation of the data for this game and then I have to say that it is not a good interpretation from Big Sam,'

3. Bust-up with Victor Valdes

Van Gaal's signing of Victor Valdes seemed shrewd but things soon went wrong as he refused to play for the reserves.

lvg valdes.jpg

'Last season, he refused to play in the second team and there are other aspects you need as a keeper at United. When you are not willing to follow those principles, there is only one way and that is the way out” quoted Gaal.

4. Calling Chris Smalling, 'Mike'

During last summer's pre-season tour of America, the Dutchman appeared to get his wires crossed when he referred to Chris Smalling as 'Mike'.

5. I think I was Sacked

'I think I was already sacked, I read,' said a fuming Van Gaal. 'My colleague (Mourinho) was here already.

Van Gaal ahead of Boxing Day clash with Stoke

6. Fellaini’s Defence

Following this month's 1-1 draw at home to eventual Premier League champions Leicester City, Van Gaal pulled a Sky Sports reporter's hair in a bizarre post-match interview to prove his point.

'When you see what Huth is doing to Fellaini, that's a penalty,' Van Gaal told Sky Sports. 'Shall I grab you by your hair? What is your reaction when I grab your hair?

7. Wanting 'horny' players

'We have to keep the ball better and we have to move the ball quicker – that's always what we have to do. Desire... it is a great word. I often use the word "horny" with my players.'

lvg horny.jpg

Looking for inspiration against Midtjylland in the Europa League round of 32 second leg, Van Gaal sought an unusual reaction from his team to overturn a 2-1 deficit and it worked.

8. Speech at 2014-15 end-of-season awards

The Dutchman has never been shy of expressing himself and his end-of-season speech last year, certainly testified that.

Akin to Winston Churchill at times, Van Gaal's speech soon became a viral hit.

Back