Sports We are not in Brazil to complete the numbers - John Obi Mikel

Mikel 2.JPG
Super Eagles midfielder John Obi #Mikel has said that they are not at the 2014 FIFA World Cup tournament just to make up the count.

Nigeria kicks off its World Cup campaign with a game against Iran on Monday,before subsequent matches against Bosnia-Herzegovina and then Argentina.

Mikel will making his first appearance at a FIFA #WorldCup tournament having missed the one in South Africa through an injury,and the Chelsea player is hoping to put up a good outing.

"This is my first World Cup," Mikel is quoted as saying on FIFA.com after a training session in Campinas. "I want to make sure we achieve something coming here. We don't just want to come and make up the numbers, we want to do well.

"I have to make sure I lead by example. We are all driving in the same direction. We all know what we want and hopefully we will have a good tournament."

He further added that the expectations on the team as African champions would spur them to do the continent proud.

"We know we're the African champions and people expect us to do well, to represent the African continent. That's a bit more extra pressure but it's pressure that we love. We love to be African champions.

Back